The Parish Room

North End

By Kathryn Betts

Photo:The Parish Room, which stood in North End, c.1900

The Parish Room, which stood in North End, c.1900

R H Clark postcard supplied by Ann Handscombe


The Parish Room was located in North End, not far from Holy Trinity Church.  It was built by village subscription on land provided at a nominal rent by Christ's College.  The tiles were especially made for it by John George Mortlock.

Many social events were held in the Parish Room, such as an "entertainment" in 1890 and a concert in 1891.

Photo:North End, showing the dilapidated Parish Room in the distance

North End, showing the dilapidated Parish Room in the distance

Bell's Postcard supplied by Ann Handscombe



By 1942, the Parish Room was a ruin and was demolished just after the war.  Beatrice Clay, in 1942, wrote, "It is unprofitable to dwell on the differences which conduced to this neglect and decay of what should have been a very useful building."

Map showing the location of the Parish Room

This page was added by Kathryn Betts on 05/05/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.