History of the Post Office in Meldreth

Photo:The Old Smithy, site of Meldreth's first Post Office

The Old Smithy, site of Meldreth's first Post Office

Bell's Postcard supplied by Ann Handscombe

Photo:Meldreth Post Office in 1920

Meldreth Post Office in 1920

Robert H Clark Postcard

Photo:Cottage in Meldreth High Street prior to the addition of a shop, Post Office & newsagents in 1924, when purchased by Fred & Bessie Handscombe

Cottage in Meldreth High Street prior to the addition of a shop, Post Office & newsagents in 1924, when purchased by Fred & Bessie Handscombe

Photograph courtesy of Teddy Handscombe

Photo:Meldreth Post Office 1924

Meldreth Post Office 1924

Bell's Postcard

Photo:Closing of the letter box in 1993

Closing of the letter box in 1993

Ann Handscombe

Photo:Post Office Savings Bank book No. 1 (Meldreth).  The first entry is for 2nd April 1925.

Post Office Savings Bank book No. 1 (Meldreth). The first entry is for 2nd April 1925.

Supplied by Ann Handscombe

Ann Handscombe

The first Meldreth village Post Office was situated in a room at the home of the Hale family in North End.  This thatched cottage was also the site of the forge.  Letters were delivered by horse drawn mail cart and telegrams were sent by morse code. 

The  Post Office  was moved to another cottage in Meldreth High street in approximately 1910.  In 1919 Frederick Handscombe from Melbourn bought the cottage with the Post Office and became the village postman.  Telegrams could be sent using a machine with a pointed dial for each letter.  Later a telephone was installed.

In 1924 Fred Handscombe purchased the cottage on the opposite side of the road, built a shop on the side then extended the business to include groceries and a newsagents.  A post box was built into the front wall of the cottage.  

The Handscombe family continued with the business until 1963 after which it was bought by Mr. Reed.   In 1993 the shop closed with the Post Office and newsagents being transferred to the other village store, One Stop, in the High Street.  The old Post Offices are now private dwellings.

This page was added by Ann Handscombe on 06/12/2010.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.