From Warren's to One Stop

Photo:Advert in the Crow 1913

Advert in the Crow 1913

Royston crow

High Street

By Chris Duguid

Photo:Warren's Bakehouse, c.1900

Warren's Bakehouse, c.1900

Photograph supplied by John Gipson


Mr Warren operated a shop and a butchers from one of the two bakehouses in the High Street. The contents of both shops and his house were destroyed in a fire in 1908. In 1936,due to Mr Warren's ill health, the business was offered for sale.

Photo:Ivan Jacklin, Enid Fost and Jack Salisbury 1959

Ivan Jacklin, Enid Fost and Jack Salisbury 1959

Photograph courtesy of Meldreth WI

In the early 1950's the building was empty for some time. The Leverington family then moved into the premises following a disastrous fire in 1954 when their shop (located at 59 High Street) was burnt down. The shop was then taken over by Mr and Mrs Salisbury who remained there from 1955 to 1965. When the Salisbury's left the village the shop was sold to Mr and Mrs Allen.

Photo:Advert for Salisbury's from The Melde Parish Magazine, March 1961

Advert for Salisbury's from The Melde Parish Magazine, March 1961

Copy of The Melde kindly donated by Joan Gipson

Photo:Allens, 1965

Allens, 1965

Photograph courtesy of Meldreth WI

The Allens made substantial changes to the external appearance of the shop creating a look which survives to the present day.

Photo:One Stop, 2000

One Stop, 2000


This page was added by Chris Duguid on 06/12/2010.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.