Meldreth Council School Scholarships Board

By Kathryn Betts

Photo:The Scholarships Board

The Scholarships Board

Photograph by Andrew Jones

The Scholarships Board is still on display in Meldreth Primary School. 

Below is the information we have on the children whose names appear on the board. We would welcome further information on those listed; if you can help, please add a comment below.


Scholarships

1911

Elizabeth Butler
Admission no. 20.  Started at the school on its opening day, 4th April 1910, having previously attended Melbourn School.  Elizabeth was one of at least eight siblings, two of whom, Ivy and Jubal also started on the same day.  Their parents were Mary and Joseph Butler and they lived in Hitch's Cottage in the High Street. Elizabeth left the school on 9th September 1911 to attend the County School.  


1912

Gladys Aldridge
Admission no. 1. Gladys Muriel Aldridge was the headteacher's daughter and lived at the school house with her mother her parents Eleanor and Frederick John Aldridge and siblings Winifred and Frederick George. Gladys started at the school on its opening day, 4th April 1910, having previously attended Croydon School. She left to go to the County School on 2nd August 1912.


1914

Vera Barnes
Admission no. 43. Joined the school on its opening day, 4th April 1910, having previously attended Melbourn School. Vera lived with her older siblings and parents at Quaker's Cottage, which was presumably close to Flambard's Mill. Her parents were Ada and Ernest. Vera left the school on 25th September 1914 to go to the County Girls' School.


Winifred Hodgkinson
Admission no. 92. Winifred lived at Court Lodge in the High Street with her parents Ada and Alfred Hodgkinson, a poultry farmer. She had two brothers. She started at the school on 11th September 1911, having previously attended Carlton House School in Melbourn. She left the school on 31st July 1914 to attend the County Girls' School.


1915

Eric Liddiard
Admission no. 136.  Eric lived in the High Street. He had a sibling, Queenie. His father, Charles, ran a grocer's shop. Eric started at the school on 20th April 1914, after moving from Bedford. He left on 30th July 1915 to attend the County Boys' School.


1916

Gwen Woodcock
Admission no. 93. Gwendoline lived at College Farm, Whaddon with her siblings and her parents, Elizabeth and Arthur. She started at the school on 11th September 1911, having previously attended Whaddon School. She spent a few months at another school in 1913 before finally leaving on 11th August 1916 to attend the County Girls' School.


1918

Roland Dyson
Admission no. 100.  Roland started at the school on 1st April 1912, a few weeks after his brother Basil had joined. Their sister, Beryl, joined in 1919. Their parents were Kate and Harnew Dyson and they lived near the Post Office. Roland left the school on 9th August 1918.


Ethel Mead
Admission no. 119. Ethel lived in North End with her parents Annie and Albert. She joined the school on 4th November 1912, having previously attended Shepreth School. Her two younger siblings joined later. She left the school on 9th August 1918 to attend the County Girls' School. 


1919

Mona Cox

Photo:Mona Cox, 1912

Mona Cox, 1912

Admission no. 82.  Mona Gwendoline Cox was one of the children of Charlotte Elizabeth and Percival William (Percy) Cox, who lived near the Post Office in the High Street. She started at the school on 24th April 1911. Mona left briefly when she went to Royston before finally leaving on 8th August 1919 to go to the County Girls' School. 


1921

Sidney Waldock
Admission no. 137.  Sidney lived near the Stocks with his parents, Matilda Ann and George Waldock. He started at the school on 20th April 1914 and left on 29th July 1921 to attend the County Boys' School. 


1922

Leonard Mead
Admission no. 179. Lived with his parents Sarah Ann and John Mead in North End. Joined the school on 26th June 1916 and left on 4th August 1922, having gained a Trigg's Scholarship.


Jean Miller
Admission no. 178. Jean lived near the Post Office. She started at the school on 19th June 1916 and left on 4th August 1922, having gained a Trigg's Scholarship.


1925

Kathleen Pepper
Admission no. 220.  Kathleen lived with her family at Fenny Lane Farm. She started at the school on 17th March 1919 and left on 7th August 1925.


Kenneth Farnham

Photo:Kenneth Farnham in 1925

Kenneth Farnham in 1925

Photograph supplied by Ann Handscombe

Admission no. 184.  Kenneth lived with his father Frank at 3 Allerton Terrace. He joined the school on 8th January 1917. He spent a short time in Cambridge in 1921 before returning to Meldreth School, which he left on 7th August 1925.


Joan Farnham
Admission no. 205. Lived with her brother Kenneth (above) at 3 Allerton Terrace. She joined the school on 18th February 1918. She left and was re-admitted twice, before leaving for the last time on 7th August 1925.


1926

Kathleen Lambeth
Admission no. 301. Kathleen lived in the High Street. Her father's name was Albert. Kathleen started at the school on 3rd November 1924, having previously attended Newport Road School in Leyton. She left on 6th August 1926 after gaining a minor scholarship.


1927

Iris M Pepper

Photo:Iris Pepper, c. 1928

Iris Pepper, c. 1928

Admission no. 235. Iris May Pepper lived at Brewery Farm, just off North End. Her father's name was Edward. She joined the school on 21st June 1920 and left on 5th August 1927, having gained a minor scholarship.


1928

Edwin Nodder

Photo:Edwin Nodder in 1928

Edwin Nodder in 1928

Admission no. 253. Sidney Edwin Nodder started at the school on 3rd April 1920. He lived with his parents and siblings in Torpoint House in North End. He left the school on 3rd August 1928, having gained a minor scholarship.


Donald East

Photo:Donald East in 1928

Donald East in 1928

Admission no. 254.  Donald Alfred East lived in Shepreth with his parents Eva and Alfred Thomas East.  He joined the school on 3rd April 1922 and left on 3rd August 1928, having gained a minor scholarship.


Christine Pepper
Admission no. 243. Christine Annie lived at Brewery Farm with her siblings and her parents, Annie and Edward. She started at the school on 4th April 1921 and left on 3rd August 1928, having been awarded a Trigg's Scholarship.


1931

Photo:Dennis East in 1928

Dennis East in 1928

Dennis East
Admission no. 285. Dennis Jack East lived in North End with his parents Eva and Alfred Thomas East. He joined the school on 28th April 1924 and left on 31st July 1931 having gained a minor scholarship.


1935

George Newell
Admission no. 430. Lived in Cornwall House, North End with his parents, May and Albert Edward and his siblings.  George started at the school on 5th December 1932, having previously attended Madingley School. He left on 1st August 1935 to attend the County School having been granted a scholarship by the Trigg's trustees.


1937

Ronald Pepper
Admission no. 391. Ronald Edwin Mark Pepper lived with his siblings and his parents Annie and Edward Pepper at Brewery Farm in Meldreth and later at Station Road in Shepreth. He joined the school on 15th September 1930 and left on 28th July 1937 having gained a minor scholarship.


Edwin Howard
Admission no. 415. Edwin lived with his parents Rose and Cecil Howard and siblings in Station House, Meldreth. Edwin joined the school on 18th January 1932 having previously attended Harston School. He was awarded a Triggs Scholarship and left on 23rd July 1937.


1940

Photo:Jack Farnham, 1938

Jack Farnham, 1938

Photograph supplied by Dennis Dash

Jack L Farnham
Admission no. 436. Jack Lawrence Farnham lived at 13 Council Cottages, Kneesworth Road with his parents Rosina and Percy. He first joined the school on 25th April 1933 and left on 31st July 1940 after gaining a scholarship to the Boys' County School in Cambridge. During this period he left and was re-admitted to Meldreth School several times.


Margaret E Hale
Admission no. 494. Margaret Elizabeth lived with her parents Grace and Hubert near the church. She joined the school on 14th November 1938 from Melbourn School. She left on 31st July 1940.


Joan M Stubbing

Photo:Joan Stubbing in 1938

Joan Stubbing in 1938

From a photograph supplied by Dennis Dash

Admission no. 441. Joan Margaret Stubbing lived with her twin Enid Mary and parents in the High Street. She started at the school on 8th January 1934 and left on 31st July 1940.


 

Studentships

1925

Eric Nodder

Photo:Eric Nodder in 1925

Eric Nodder in 1925

From a photograph supplied by Ann Handscombe

Admission no. 208. Eric lived in North End. He started at the school on 26th February 1918, having previously attended a school in East Ham.  He returned to London for a few months in 1919/1920 before moving back to Meldreth. He left the school on 7th August 1925 at the age of 14.


Kathleen Fuller
Admission no. 151. Kathleen lived at 4 Allerton Terrace and later at Hope Folly in Whitecroft Road. Her father was John William Fuller. She started at the school on 19th April 1915 and after two brief spells in Cambridge, left on 7th August 1925.


1930

Barbara Jarman

Photo:Barbara Jarman in 1928

Barbara Jarman in 1928

Admission no.  325. Barbara Elizababeth Joan Jarman lived at Home Farm. Her father was William Jarman.  She joined the school on 4th January 1927, having previously attended Whaddon School.   She was awarded a studentship for the Arts & Crafts school in Cambridge and left the school on 1st August 1930.


Evelyn Waldock

Photo:Evelyn Waldock in 1928

Evelyn Waldock in 1928

Admission no. 222. Evelyn Sarah Waldock lived in Whitecroft Road. Her father's name was Fred. She joined the school on 5th May 1919 and left on 16th April 1930.


1932

Winifred P Webb
Admission no. 370. Winifred Priscilla Webb lived at 14 Bridge Street, Whaddon. Her father's name was Charles. She started at the school on 29th April 1929 having previously attended Whaddon School. She left on 29th July 1932 after obtaining a studentship for the Arts & Crafts school in Cambridge. 


1934

Beatrice M Light

Photo:Beatrice Light in 1928

Beatrice Light in 1928

Admission no. 311. Beatrice May Light lived with her parents Emma and Charlie in the Council Cottages on Whaddon Road. She joined the school on 1st April 1925 and left on 3rd August 1934 to attend the Arts & Crafts School in Cambridge having been awarded a Trigg's Studentship.

This page was added by Kathryn Betts on 10/11/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.