Listed Structures in Meldreth

Introduction

Listed Buildings are those that have been designated by the relevant Secretary of State as being of special architectural or historic interest.

There are 41 listed structures in Meldreth. Details can be found below and are also available on the British Listed Buildings website.

Images of all the listed structures are shown in the picture gallery at the bottom of this page; additional images are available on the Images of England site.

There is a separate page on this website on the thatched dwellings in the village, most of which are listed.

All structures are grade II listed apart from the Church which is Grade I.

Apart from the Church and 33 dwellings the other structures are:

The granary and the threshing barn are included in the Meldreth list for group value as they help people understand the overall historical architecture of the village.

They were all listed on 18th October 1985 apart from:

  • Topcliffe Mill House                  1 March 1983
  • Topcliffe Mill                               1 March 1983

See below for further details of these structures.

Map Showing the Approximate Location of all of the Listed Structures in Meldreth

Please move your mouse over the map to show the locations and addresses.

Summary of Meldreth Listed Dwellings

  • thatched: 16 (17)  1 originally thatched – 9/11 North End counted as 2
  • timber framed: 30
  • clay bat: 2
  • clunch: 2
  • tiled: 12 (1 pantiled)
  • slates: 11
  • 16th century: 3
  • 17th century: 22

Details of Meldreth Listed Dwellings

Below is a list of the listed dwellings in Meldreth, arranged by streets. For a more detailed listing, please see the pdf document which is available as a download below.

House Name/NumberCenturyRoofTimber Frame 
Chiswick End
Chiswick HouseMid 16th.  Early 17th cross wingTiledYes
Chiswick Farmhouse17thMoulded tile, early 20th century, originally thatchedYes
12-14 Chiswick EndLate 18thSlateYes
The Dumb Flea,
23 Chiswick End
Late 18thLong straw thatchYes
High Street
Temple House,
High Street
17thSlateYes
The Old Post Office,
47 High Street
Late 17thSlateYes
The Old Bell,
High Street
1676Long straw thatchYes
Exposed
55-57 High StreetLate 17th or early 18thTileYes
Keys Cottage
70 High Street
17th
Extended 20th
Long straw thatchYes
The Homestead
73 High Street
now Maycroft Care Home
1901-4TiledYes
Exposed
Applecote, 85 High StreetMid-late C17 Extended 1949Long straw thatchYes
Exposed internally to roof in left hand bay
The British Queen
94 High Street
Early and late C17. Remodelled early C19Tiled
Later 17th century part to west has early 19th century low pitch, slate with white brick stack
Yes
104 and 106 High StreetLate 17th
Extended at the rear early to mid 19th century and later, axially, to the east
Tiled roofYes
Meldreth Court17th
Enlarged to north c. 1790
Repaired 1891, 1892
17th century tiled, low pitch
1790 extension slate
one stack dated 1773
Not mentioned
Manor Road
Meldreth Manor SchoolLate 17thTiled/gabledYes. Some exposed internally.
North End
Willow Way Cottages,
9-11 North End
Late 17th or early 18th. Early 19th century extensionLong straw thatchYes
Homeland
13 North End
17th – 18thLong straw thatchYes
The Cottage,
19 North End
Late 17th
Extended 18th/19th
Long straw thatchYes
The Old Town House
29 North End
formerly the village blacksmith’s
Late 17th
Modern additions
Long straw thatch at two levelsYes
33 North End,
former Green Man Public House
Early 16thTiledYes
Mill House, 36 North EndMid 18th,
converted 1940s
Included for group value
Tiled (was thatched until 1980s)Yes
Manting House, 35-37 North EndEarly 19thSlateYes
stuccoed
The Laurels, 72 North End1837 (dated brick)SlateNot mentioned
Station Road
Meldreth Thatch,
3 Station Road
Late 17th; 20th century addition to eastLong straw thatchYes
Fieldgate Cottage,
9 Station Road
Late 17th; 20th century addition to eastLong straw thatchYes
Fieldgate Farmhouse, 32 Station RoadLate 17th and 18thTiledYes
Sheene Manor,
58 Station Road
Mid 16th; addition 17th century; 1656 chimney stackTiledYes
Orchard Cottage,
61 Station Road
1662 (lintel) with 1800 pantry addition to the northLong straw thatchYes
Sheene Cottage,
63 Station Road
18thLong straw thatchYes
Whitecroft Road
27 Whitecroft Road17th-18thLong straw thatchYes
30 Whitecroft Road17th – 18thLong straw thatchYes
32 Whitecroft RoadMid – late 17thLong straw thatchYes
Bluebell Cottage
41 Whitecroft Road
Late 17thLong straw thatchYes

Other Structures

  • Granary at Chiswick Farm, No. 10 Chiswick End

    It has been a pigeon house.  It was a store at time of listing.
    18th Century.

    Timber framed with rebuilt pyramidal roof of old tiles.

  • Stocks and Whipping Post, High Street/North End/Fenny Lane

    18th century stocks and whipping-post. C18 located at Marvell’s Green at the junction of the High Street and North End.

  • Base of Cross, High Street/North End/Fenny Lane

    Medieval base of a cross made from limestone and resited to Marvell’s Green from a garden behind the village shop c. 1888-89 (according to Beatrice Clay writing in 1942).  Another cross base is located in a garden in North End and another one in a garden on the High Street.

  • Holy Trinity Church, North End

    Chancel mid 12th century with a slightly later west tower and nave.
    This is the only Grade I listed building in the village.

  • Topcliffe Mill, North End (down footpath opposite Church)

    Water mill [see comment below]
    c.1740 with c.1840 addition (brick)
    Timber framed and weather boarded
    Tiled mansard roof to original building with patterned slate roof on north side addition.
    Three storeys and loft.
    South side has three iron casements with small panes.
    Apart from the water wheel, the machinery is intact, including three pairs of grinding stones.

  • Water Pump near Mill Cottage, Mill End

    Village water pump. Late C19. Cast iron ring shaft with fluted head and finial. Enriched spout and handle.

  • Threshing Barn, Sheene Manor Farm

    Timber framed and weather boarded with a steep pitched roof of pantiles.
    18th/19th century

  • Bridge at Sheene Mill, Station Road

    Cast iron bridge dated 1852 with a single span.
    The spandrels have the name of the manufacturer:James Rawlings (listed in Kelly’s Directory 1858 for Melbourn) on the east side and Hurrell on the west side.
    It was built to replace the ford on Mill Lane (now Station Road).

Please see the documents below for more details on the listed structures in Meldreth and details of the history and mechanisms of the listing process.

My location
Get Directions

Downloads

Comments about this page

  • The listing quoted above states that Topcliffe Mill is an undershot mill. Although it is believed to have had an undershot wheel at some point, it last operated as an overshot mill. See the page on the Topcliffe Mill Wheel for further details. 

    By Kathryn Betts (19/03/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *