James Payne was born in Meldreth in 1797 to William and Sarah Payne nee Waller and was christened on 7th June 1798 in Holy Trinity Church.
He married Sarah Ann Scruby on 24th of August 1822. She was born in 1802 at Arlesey, Bedfordshire and was a resident of Meldreth at the time.
They had six children, two boys and four girls.
James died on the 27th July 1836 aged 39 and was buried on 30th July 1836 in Holy Trinity churchyard.
Sarah died of Infirmity on 31st December 1892 in Kneesworth aged 90 and was buried at the Independent Church of Melbourn.
James and Sarah had the following children:
1. Mary Ann Payne: was born on 26th October 1822 and was baptised on 6th April 1823 in Holy Trinity Church. She died fairly young on 27th September 1831 at Chiswick End and was buried on 1st October 1831 in the churchyard.
2. Emma Payne: was born in 1824 but died young on the 16th September 1831 at Chiswick End and was buried on 20th September in the churchyard. A baptism for her was registered on 10th October 1831 which was after her buria,l therefore it is my assumption that this was probably done at time of death and recorded later in the registers.
3. John Payne: was born in 1827 and was christened on 5th February 1832 in Holy Trinity Church. He married Susannah Aves.
In 1879 he was recorded in the Kelly’s directory as a Beer Retailer in Melbourn. He died on the 24th September 1891 from shock to the system caused by injury to the spine caused by being kicked by a horse at a farm stable in Melbourn and was buried at the Independent Chapel in the same village.
4. Rachel Emma Payne was born in Meldreth in 1830. She was christened on 10th October 1831 in Holy Trinity Church.
5. Mary Payne was born in 1832 in Meldreth and was christened on 22nd January 1843 at All Saints Church, Melbourn.
She had two children very young but was not married.
Ann Rachel Payne (1844-1929)
Eliza Agnes Payne (1847-1913)
Both Mary (1856) and Rachel (Emma) (1847) departed for the USA where they lived until their deaths.
Emma (Payne) Slocum went on to have three sons, and lived with the youngest, Wilbur, in Michigan, after her husband’s death in 1887. She died at the age of 85 on 22nd February 1916.
For more information on Emma, see the page on Thomas Casbon, James Scruby, and the Meldreth-Wayne County, Ohio Connection.
6. David Payne was born in 1836 in Meldreth and was christened on 22nd January 1843 at All Saints Church, Melbourn.
He emigrated from Melbourn to Portland, Victoria, Australia on 27th October 1854 and married Johanna Crowe on 29th September 1862 in Keilor, Victoria, Australia. He died on 22nd October 1923 in Mount Egerton, Victoria, Australia.