The Building and Inauguration of Meldreth War Memorial
This is situated on a triangle close to the station on the intersection of the High Street, Station Road and Whitecroft Road. It is made from silver-grey Cornish granite with the names in cut and metal filled letters. It was carried out by Mr G. E. Streather of Royston.
There are twelve names for the First World War and seven for the Second World War. Details on all nineteen men are available on the List of the Fallen page. There is also a plaque in Meldreth’s Holy Trinity Church.
A War Memorial Fund was formed after the end of the 1914-1918 war and £137 and 4 shillings was received in donations. This, together with with accumulated interest of £3, 15 shillings and 3 pence gave a final total of £140, 19 shillings and 3 pence (This is now worth approximately £6,000 using the retail price index (RPI) or £33,000 using average earnings.)
The memorial cost £119, 6 shillings and 3 pence with an additional £9, 13 shillings and 6 pence for fencing, £1, 10 shillings for paving and 10 shillings for wreaths. £15, 15 shillings and 6 pence was used for printing, leaving a balance in 1925 of £4, 4 shillings.
190 donations were received from individuals, couples and families. The largest was £10 from Miss Chamberlain and the smallest 6 pence (6 people). The most popular amount was 5 shillings, current value about £10.60 RPI or £47 average earnings (43 people).
It was dedicated in early February 1920.
The school children and elder scholars from the three Sunday schools attended a short service and then processed to the site where a service was held at 3pm by the vicar, the Rev P. Harvey, assisted by the Rev. J. G. Davis, the Congregational minister from Melbourn and Rev. C. H. Walters a Wesleyan Circuit minister from Cambridge. The hymns were:
- O God Our Help in Ages Past
- Through All The Changing Scenes of Life
- Abide with Me
A united Memorial Service was held in the Parish Church in the evening.
The event was reported in the Herts and Cambs Reporter on 6th February 1920.
The war memorial was inaugurated on 11th November 1923 with Shepreth Brass Band in attendance.
Click on the images below to view other images of the war memorial.