Test Pit 2 - 17 Chiswick End
This bungalow was built on an old orchard which belonged to John Payne of Melbourn. The test pit was dug in the front garden, against the garage wall.
Six contexts were dug. This test pit produced single sherds of Romano-British Ware and Early Medieval Sandy Ware, and six sherds of Hertfordshire Greyware dating to the late 12th-14th centuries AD. Five sherds of Late Medieval Ware dating to the 15th-16th century, some Glazed Red Earthenware and Staffordshire Slipware from the post-medieval period and a small assemblage of 20 sherds dating to the Victorian era were also found.
Other finds consisted of glass, metal nails, tacks, tube and a lead soldier, oyster shell, stone, charcoal, brick and a coin from 1957 that was found while metal detecting on the spoil heap. The faunal assemblage recovered from this test pit included bones of cow, sheep/goat, pig and some other unidentifiable remains.
The single sherd of Roman pottery from Context 4 suggests that this site had a marginal use at that time, probably as fields. It then appears to have been abandoned until the early medieval period, since when it has been in continuous use.
For an overview of the site and finds, please click on the image of the exhibition poster, which is the first image in the gallery below.
For detailed analysis of the finds, please see the results sheet for this pit which is available as a download at the bottom of this page.
For reports and maps relating to all of the test pits, please see the documents available on our results page.
No site diary was recorded.
Please click on a photograph to display a larger image.