Education provision in the village prior to 1910
Before Meldreth School was built in 1910, there was no formal provision for the education of children in the village.
According to the Victoria County History, there may have been a school master in Meldreth in the mid fifteenth century and a master was licensed to teach here in 1579. However, no regular day school was recorded before 1900.
Children attended Melbourn Schools at least from the late eighteenth century or dame schools in Meldreth as in 1818 and 1833, when two such schools taught 34 children.
A free Sunday School had 11 pupils in 1818, about 60 pupils in 1833 and around 120 pupils in 1846.
A House of Commons publication from 1835 states that there were, “Two daily schools, kept by females, containing 34 children, whose instruction is paid for by their parents. One Sunday school, wherein about 60 of both sexes are gratuitously instructed.”
According to Edward Butt’s “Sunday School Teachers Magazine and Journal of Education” of 1852, there was an independent Sunday School in Meldreth with “Eight teachers, 47 scholars. 29 are able to read the scriptures. All the teachers were formerly scholars; 4 teachers are members of the church.”
Miss Baker’s School Preparatory Establishment
On 30th December 1831, the Cambridge Chronicle carried an advertisement for Miss Baker’s School Preparatory Establishment. It read:
Miss Baker begs to return sincere thanks to her friends for the liberal support she has hitherto experienced. Her school will re-commence on January 16th 1832. Board and education £18, under 8 years of age £16 per annum. Day scholars 12s per quarter.