Post Office Trade Directory, 1853

transcribed by Ann Handscombe

Meldreth is a parish in the Hundred of Armingford, and Union of Royston, 41/2 miles north-by-east of Royston, 91/2 south-west of Cambridge, on a branch of the river Rhea, and contains about 2,000 acres.  The living is a vicarage in the bishopric and archdeaconry of Ely, and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Ely;  the present vicar is the Rev. Thomas Fogg.  The population in 1851 was 776.  Here is a Wesleyan chapel.  The Great Northern Railway Company have a station here, 48 miles from London.

Gentry

Barrett, the Misses
Barr, John, esq.
Ellis, Charles, esq.
Ellis, John Hitch, esq.
Fogg, Rev. Thomas, M.A.
Fordham, Alfred, esq.
Linton, William, esq.
Waller, William, esq.

Traders

Baker, Alfred, relieving officer for Melbourn district
Baker, Thos.,  beer retailer and wheelwright [The Queen Adelaide]
Barnard, Thomas, shopkeeper
Burr, John, farmer and maltster
Clear, Henry, farmer
Clear, William, farmer
Dines, George, ‘Bell
Drage, Joseph, ‘Horse Shoes’
Driver, Nathan, ‘British Queen
East, William, beer retailer
Ellis, Charles, farmer
Ellis, John Hitch, farmer
Flitton, William, farmer
Hale, Benjamin, wheelwright
Hale, Edward, ‘Green Man
Harip, Aaron, blacksmith
Linton, William, farmer
Moore, Henry, master of railway station
Palmer, George, farmer
Scruby, Joseph, maltster
Scruby, William, farmer
Searle, Joseph, beer retailer [the Sailor's Return]
Wallis, Richard, grocer
Wing, Robert ‘Two Brewers’
Wing, Thomas, baker & butcher
Worland, Frederick, shopkeeper
Worland, Thomas, cow leech
Worland, William, cow leech

Letters are received through the Melbourn office.

This page was added by Kathryn Betts on 03/07/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.