In May 2014 an 1894 map of Meldreth Station and Goods Yard appeared for sale on eBay. Greg Dash, the son of Meldreth Local History Group member Terry, bid on the item and was lucky enough to win it. Greg has very kindly consented to allow us to publish the map on our website.
The map itself is on parchment and was originally produced some time before January 1875 for The Great Northern Railway. It was corrected in 1875 and then revised three more times, in 1877, 1887 and then finally in 1894.
The largest building in the Goods Yard is clearly marked as a Coprolite Mill confirming the location of this mill for the grinding of this valuable commodity during the mid-nineteenth century.
The layout of the station, the station master’s residence and the original, open waiting ‘shed’ are clearly shown. Urinals are marked on the plan but there doesn’t appear to be any provision for the ladies!