Property Owned by the Mortlock Family in Meldreth

During the C19th and early C20th much of the centre of Meldreth was owned by the Mortlock family.  Besides owning orchards and arable land John George Mortlock also built a number of grand houses in Meldreth.

I have prepared a map of Meldreth showing the extent of the property owned by William Mortlock (1778-1833) and put up for auction in 1833 (hatched in green) and the land owned by his grandson John George Mortlock (1835 – 1917) identified from the 1910 Land Valuation Map of Meldreth.

William’s son (and John George’s father), John Mortlock (1807 – 1888) also lived for a time in Meldreth before moving to The Moat House, Melbourn in 1841.  It is not known at present where exactly John Mortlock lived in Meldreth.

What can be seen from the map is the huge area of Meldreth owned by John George Mortlock.  Many of the grand houses were actually built by John George and we have him to thank for the fine legacy he has left.

John Gipson has kindly donated an old photograph album to the Meldreth Local History Group which originally belonged to John George Mortlock.  This album shows a number of the houses owned by JGM.  The photos below all come from this album.  It is believed that JG built Meldreth Court Lodge, Maycroft and The Grove. He also owned The Warren, Meldreth Manor, The Grange, Orchard Dene and of course Meldreth Court and the associated buildings.  He built the L-shaped extension onto Meldreth Court which housed the servants (downstairs) with additional bedrooms for the Court upstairs.

Downloads

Comments about this page

  • * Ralph Vaughan Williams, the famous composer & folk song collector rented The Warren in the summer of 1906, when he came for a summer holiday with his first wife Adeline. He collected many songs from the locality.

    By Mary Humphreys (17/04/2012)
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams, the famous composer & folk song collector rented this property in the summer of 1906, when he came for a summer holiday with his first wife Adeline. He collected many songs from the locality.

    By Mary Humphreys (16/04/2012)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *